Thursday, March 14, 2013

Feb 10, 2013--Pleasant Surprises



Mid-February and mid-fifties!  Are you kidding me?  I want winter weather.  I want at least one, really good snow day when we’re all forced to stay home in our PJs, watch movies and bake cookies.  You know you want one, too.
Instead I’m watching in dismay as my daffodils bloom and my winter urn arrangements appear incongruent in this tropical oasis.  (Slight exaggeration, but it helps to emphasize my point.)  As I sit typing my fingers to the bone (more emphasis), the 10 day forecast is predicting more of the same.  I see no snow days in my near future.
I do see, however, some baking in my very near future.  This week I will bake my first King Cake for Fat Tuesday.  We don’t really make a big deal about Mardi Gras around the King Kompound—it usually means Pancake Supper at Trinity Episcopal and that’s about it.  This year, however, I promised my patrons some King Cake, so I better get busy!
Last year we went to celebrate Mardi Gras with my sister and brother-in-law in Northern Virginia.  They host a grande fête each February and one of their guests brought a couple dozen cupcakes, each embellished with a plastic baby figure—like the one found inside a proper King Cake.  I absconded with at least half-a-dozen, so I am set in that regard.  What I need to find, though, is a recipe.  I’ll also be making Pralines for the first time.  I’m actually looking forward to it and will let you know how I make-out.
As we’re going to run headlong into Valentine’s Day, too, I’ve worked-out some plans for that, too.  I really want to go see “Always . . . Patsy Cline” at The Roxy, but we are a going to have to wait until next week for that.  Rather than fight the crowds to dine-out (rest assured, we do our fair share of that), I think I’ll make a nice, romantic dinner for the three of us (you will remember we still have one bird in the nest).  I’m going to make Coq au Vin—it was the first “fancy” dish I ever made for Darren.  I don’t think, to be honest, it was the hook that caught him, but I remember the excitement of preparing such a special meal very fondly!

Does cooking do that for you?  Do you hold onto those memories like I do?  I can tell you the first time I made a lot of meals.  For instance, the first time I made Stromboli I failed to remove the paper casing from the salami, so with every bite, Darren was discreetly pulling the casing out from between pursed lips.  (That one was after we were married, so he gave me the appropriately hard time!)
I really enjoy planning and preparing meals, which is another aspect of my creativity that has been thwarted over the past few years.  Every now a then I have bursts of culinary creativity, but they are far too infrequent.  When we were trying to figure out what to do with some leftover ham the other night, I told Darren that I would use it to prepare Spaghetti a la Carbonara.  His response, “But I didn’t pick-up any of that at the commissary.” 
“Harumph!” said I.
So, last Wednesday, I came home from work and immediately set-about  browning the onions and mixing the half-and-half with some egg yolks.  Thirty minutes later, he was pleasantly surprised that I was not only still able to cook from scratch, but that the results were rather tasty.  (Added bonus, I used a lot of leftovers and we needed nothing additional from the commissary!)  I think I need to surprise him, as well as myself, a little more frequently!
I hope this week holds pleasant surprises for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment