Monday, October 21, 2013

UpCycling an Emergency Candle

This is the column I wrote for The Leaf Chronicle, which appeared in the Sunday, Oct 18, 2013 edition.
Time for another “how to” House Arrest column.
First, though, I want to throw-out a reminder about a great event coming up this week. It’s one of my favorite inspiration sources, but I’ve been known to do a little shopping, too. The Hayloft at Port Royal is starting this Thursday, with a preview night and continues through Saturday. These barns sales have become enormously popular across the nation and I am so glad that Shirley and Knox have brought one to Clarksville. Not only is the event wonderful for those of us who like to shop, it’s also great for the local economy. Folks travel from far and near to set-up as vendors, as well as shop; many travelers will stay in our hotels, eat at our restaurants and put gas in their cars. In the words or Ms. Martha, “it’s a good thing.”
Today, I’m going to share instructions for upcycling an emergency candle into a decorative accessory for fall. Actually, this project can be adapted to the season, but today I’ll teach you the basics and you can “jump” from here.
The list:supplies
8” emergency candle in glass
Scrap of burlap
Scrap of muslin or other cotton fabric
Rubber stamp with a “background” print (I used one with a script pattern)
Rubber stamping ink pad (I use brown ink)
Raffia
Oats, mini-Indian corn, acorns—anything fall-ish
Rubber bands
Mod Podge®
Foam paint brush
Those well labeled “fabric only” scissors
1. Cut your burlap into a 9 x 7 rectangle—pull threads to fringe one of the long sides.
glue burlap
2. Coat the glass of the candle with a generous layer of Mod Podge®; slip on a couple rubber bands while glue dries.
 

3. Tear a 5” wide length of the cotton fabric (I used flour sack cloth); I tore a long piece because I planned to make a lot of these candles. (You can cut the fabric, but tearing gave the appearance I wanted.)plain cotton (800x533)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 








4. Use rubberstamp and stamp pad to apply a pattern onto the cotton fabric; allow to dry completely. Cut a length of the fabric to 8”. Attach the stamped fabric to the burlap, using the Mod Podge®. stamped cotton (800x534)
 
5. Cut a length of raffia, at least 18” long. Wrap it around the candle, securing with a square knot. (left over right and under, right over left and under—pull tight). cottong wrap
6. Now here is where you can introduce various elements of fall, by adding your choice of accent. Use a strand or two of the raffia to attach a mini-bunch of wheat/oats, a tiny wreath and acorn or an Indian corn. I am sure you can think of other accents, as well.
corn candle (559x800)wreath candle (533x800)wheat candle (462x800)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 







As I mentioned, this is an easily adapted project for any season. The candles are very affordable and the glass makes it ideal for decorating. I hope you enjoy your candles.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment